Jason Helliwell, MD, FACOG, FACS
Dr. Helliwell grew up in Thousand Oaks, California graduating from Thousand Oaks High School. He then attended the University of California, San Diego where he earned a B.S. Degree in biochemistry and cell biology. Dr. Helliwell speaks the Spanish language fluently. Enjoying activities such as surfing and hiking, Dr. Helliwell remained at UCSD obtaining his medical degree. Specializing in obstetrics and gynecology, Dr. Helliwell performed extensive research and internships, as well as publishing several articles in academic journals pertaining to the subject of OB/GYN.
Dr. Helliwell's first two years of residency were at the world-renowned Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He then decided to obtain valuable experience at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center for the remaining years of his residency.
After completing residency Dr. Helliwell practiced with Kaiser Permanente and obtained his board certification in OB/GYN. His wife Siniva is also an OB/GYN doctor here in Bakersfield. Dr. Helliwell always wanted to start his own private practice where he could provide superior care to his patients with a personal aspect. Dr. Helliwell saw the need for superior quality OB/GYN care in Bakersfield and has opened the Advanced Women's Health Center.
Dr. Helliwell's Affiliations:
• Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (FACOG)
• Fellow of the Amercian College of Surgeons (FACS)
• Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (FACOG), since 7/2006
• Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), since 2009
• Fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (FAACS), since 2009
• Diplomate of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG), since 2006
• Diplomate of American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery, since 2012
• Medical Board of California, Physician and Surgeon Licensure, Active Status
• Controlled Substance Registration Certificate, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Active Status
Post Graduate Medical Training:
• Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, Specialty: OB/GYN Residency Program, PGY III – IV, July 1, 2001- June 30, 2003
• Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, Specialty: OB/GYN Residency Program, PGY I – II, July 1, 1999- June 30, 2001
• Award for excellence in cosmetic surgery education, 2010, awarded by American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
• Patient Choice Award, Vitals.com , 2008, 2009, 2010
• Chief Resident OB/GYN Research Award Harbor-UCLA, Recognizes Best Research Paper, Sponsored by Organon USA, June 21, 2003
• Award for “Special Excellence in Endoscopic Procedures” Given by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists to a Chief Resident for Superior Laparoscopic Surgery Skills, Harbor-UCLA, June 21, 2003
• Val Davajan Fellow Award, Recognizes Excellence in Research, Pacific Coast Reproductive Society,
April 26, 2003.
• Genesis Network for Reproductive Health, Scholarship Recipient, Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Annual Meeting, April 26, 2003.
• Resident Reporter Representative for Harbor-UCLA OB/GYN Residency Program, 50th Annual Meeting of the ACOG, Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, May 24, 2002.
• Letter of Standing Ovation for Quality Service, Awarded for Compassionate and Outstanding Care of Patients in Labor and Delivery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, August 1, 1999.
• Hispanic Center of Excellence Scholar /Alumni, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, 1995- present.
• Speaker and Educator for Pfizer Corp., Urogynecology and female incontinence, 1/2007- present
• Speaker and Educator for Waener Chilcott, Urology/ Gynecology Division 11/2011- present
• Chief of Department of OB/Gyn, Mercy Hospitals Bakersfield, 1/2012- present
• Vice-Chief of the Department of OB/Gyn, Mercy Hospitals Bakersfield, 1/2009- 12/2011
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Active Fellow
• American College of Surgeons, Active Fellow
• American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Active Fellow
• American Academy of Cosmetic Breast Surgery, Active Member
• Current ACLS AND BLS Certification